Monday, April 7, 2008

A bit of marmot humor

With the prior sports weekend not much to write home about (besides the Monsters' shootout win on Friday in front of 12,300 - imagine the numbers if they counted the comps!), I have decided to impart some of the products of my furry sense of humor upon ye, the readership of this blog. Today's theme: my nicknames for various people or groups and why I call 'em that.

Mindy (KISS frontman Gene Simmons) - Gene has done various promotional work for the IndyCar series as part of the series' contract with his Abramson-Simmons PR firm. This work included a theme song titled "I am Indy." However, since sung words ending in m tend to meld into the following word if it starts with a vowel, it sounds like he is singing "I am Mindy." If he says he's Mindy, then who am I to argue?

Rahalito (IndyCar Driver, and St. Pete GP winner, Graham Rahal) Graham's the son of legendary IndyCar driver Bobby Rahal and is thus the Little Rahal or, in Spanish (my second language), Rahalito! Also it just sounds cool, seriously, try saying it a few times without smiling. Rahalito, Rahalito, Rahalito, see?

Beck Ham United (MLS club Los Angeles Galaxy) The name (a play on the English Premiership's West Ham United) is self-explanatory. Galaxy's a one-man show. It's all about Beckham.

Pyromaniac FC (MLS club Toronto FC) For those of you who have not seen TFC's ultras (The Red Army) in action, they are known for throwing smoke bombs onto the field and would probably use flares if they could get them past stadium security at the away games.

Finally on a sad note, the city of Cleveland is a little worse place than it was when I last posted. Gib Shanley has passed away. While I am too young to remember Gib calling Browns games (he called his last when I was still in diapers), I remember his work as a sports anchor on WUAB 43 and as a Sunday night sports editorialist on WEWS 5. Cleveland sports has lost one of its true greats.

No comments: